24 April 2014

Big or Small or None at All?

When Justice, that paragon of impartiality, takes a day off, leaving thieves, rapists, despots and murderers to get on with their business, I like to imagine she finally has time to sort out the really important questions of life. Like, is it better to wear big pants or little pants? Knickers, I mean. A brief internet search provides a wealth of quotes on the subject, with which I hope to clarify the arguments for both sides.

Power is not something that can be assumed or discarded at will like underwear. John Kenneth Galbraith, Economist 
Huh? I can't imagine he was the sort of chap who took off his Y-fronts during a lecture, even to make a point.

Life is like underwear, should be changed twice a day. Ray Bradbury, Author    
Again I say, huh? This approach requires too great an initial expenditure on underpants, let alone laundry bills. Likely his mother was the type who went on about the importance of clean underwear in case of an accident. 

I've taken my knickers off. My friends told me my panty line was visible, so I went without. Helena Christensen, Model
Miss Christensen demonstrates some sort of logical approach to the question. To wear no underwear is at least economical, and can have visual benefits, although these benefits only come into play when the person involved has a very acceptable figure. Like a model. For my part, I fear both leakage and draughts, and in general am happy in the knowledge that my stout and voluminous jeans rule out a v.p.l. You'll note that the question of thongs- those knickers designed by some sadist to provoke maximum discomfort and irritation- never arises. As far as the v.p.l goes, it's all or nothing.

Underwear makes me uncomfortable, and besides my parts have to breathe. Jean Harlow, Actress
Again this is a reasonable approach, but only if you're prepared to die young, as did Miss Harlow (1911 - 1937). 

Ageing doesn't mean giving up style and individuality; it doesn't mean abandoning fashion and living in comfy slippers and flannel knickers. Twiggy, Model
Two items I am in fact sporting at this precise moment. This comment is wrong, wrong, wrong. Knickers are not about fashion (with the exception on the v.p.l: see comments above); they are about comfort on the one hand, sex on the other.

This is an occasion for genuinely tiny knickers. Bridget Jones, Girl About Town (i.e. Helen Fielding, Novelist and Screenwriter)
Sex, indeed. A hot date is the time for tiny, crotch-searing knickers.

From the cradle to the coffin underwear comes first. Bertolt Brecht, Dramatist and Poet
Good to have evidence that even the greatest minds have dwelt on this question. I'm with Mr. Brecht here.

I'm definitely the kind of person to wear underwear all the time. Ashley Tisdale, Actress
Well, almost.


No comments:

Post a Comment