10 July 2012

Chocolate

A friend (a smoker) surprised me by claiming that he was no more addicted to cigarettes than I was to chocolate. This gave me some pause for thought. I don't think peer pressure got me started on the stuff. I didn't gather with other miscreants behind the bike shed at school to surreptitiously gobble a bar of Cadbury's. It is true that I cannot keep it in the house; milk or dark, if it's there, I eat it. I used to imagine that I had the self control to ration my progress through a box of chocolates, but it ain't so. Once that box is open, the contents are despatched at a rapidly accelerating rate: full to empty in a matter of days, or even hours, depending on mood. And the older I get, the less resistance I seem to put up to immediate gratification. No backbone. And probably seriously damaged internal organs, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment