20 July 2012

Debit/Credit

Another article about cosmetic surgery in one of the Sunday newspaper magazines (The Sunday Times Magazine, July 15, 2012), this one featuring a surgeon who is performing liposuction on a twenty-one year old student. In terms of income, she can't be that common, accompanied as she is by her Louis Vuitton handbag, and able to shell out £8,000 (from her 'savings' rather than her student loan) in order to have fat removed from thighs and bum. Some of the fat will be reinjected into her breasts, and some will be frozen and banked on the offchance that it will come in handy at a later date, for medical treatment rather than for roasting potatoes. Why is she undergoing this rather nerve-wracking and expensive procedure? She's quoted as saying, 'I've always been curvy, and I've got small breasts, so I wanted to be more in proportion. I'm young, I want to be able to wear what I like, and don't feel I can at the moment.' 
Well, naturally, a variety of thoughts spring to mind upon reading this, but I have been doing a little course in bookkeeping recently, and my brain currently processes all information as some sort of double entry. I'm only a beginner, of course, but in this case it would be something like this: Fat Account: Debit - Bum and Thighs, Credit - Breasts and Biobank.

No comments:

Post a Comment